Neurodiverse Couple’s Therapy
Why is Therapy Important Neurodiverse Couples?
It’s not uncommon for couples to have relationship difficulties when one partner has Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and the other is Neurotypical (NT). Often each person views the world in vastly different ways, particularly how they express and experience emotions.
It’s common for partners with ASD to:
- Be unable to communicate effectively with a neurotypical partner
- Avoid conflict
- Shift blame or misunderstand the impact of their actions
- Be unwilling to compromise
- Have trouble recognizing and responding to their partner’s emotions
- Act self-centered, with little regard for their partner’s needs
How therapy can improve problems with Neurodiverse couples
There are a number of ways couple’s therapy can help break down the walls between someone with Autism Spectrum Disorder and their neurotypical partner. In the sessions, we concentrate on the following:
- Identifying the specific ASD traits that are contributing to problems in the marriage
- Identifying the neurotypical partner’s needs and expectations for the relationship moving forward
- Discussing what has and hasn’t worked in the relationship so far
- Outlining strategies to manage and change the dysfunctional areas of the relationship
How long will it take to improve difficulties in a Neurodiverse relationship?
The length of time needed to complete couple’s therapy varies depending on the unique circumstances of the relationship. On average, I recommend completing weekly sessions over several months, as working on the relationship with an ASD partner long-term will provide better opportunities for couples to reconnect.
How therapy will help living with a partner with Autism Spectrum Disorder?
By the end of your couple’s therapy, you will hopefully be able to:
- Overcome negative interactions together respectfully
- Develop a health balance between work and family life
- Improve shared decision making within the relationship
- Set and maintain positive, healthy personal boundaries
- Communicate effectively together
- Develop healthy expectations for the relationship
- Meet each other’s sexual needs
- Improve your system of mutual support
To enquire further about couple’s therapy sessions for Neurodiverse partners, please contact me via this form, by telephone at 415-922-1122, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.