Raising a child with special needs presents unique challenges for parents. When children are struggling with emotional and psychological conditions, parents often find themselves confused and frustrated, unsure about how to handle a child’s behavior and experiencing high levels of stress from trying to cope with the situation.
Parents can work together with therapists to improve health and functionality in their children and families. Therapy and treatment for psychological conditions in children has proven to be effective, but sometimes treating the child is not enough. Many parents find that they need some professional guidance to assist them in their role as parents.
I offer parent consultations as a way for parents to stay informed about their children’s progress in therapy and to provide support and advice to help parents better guide children who are coping with emotional issues and behaviors.
Parent consultations are not therapy sessions; rather, they are a means to promote effective parenting. All consultations are personalized for each family so we can best meet their needs and goals. There is a broad range of issues that parent consultations can resolve:
- Develop strategies for clear, direct and consistent parenting while supplying a healthy, positive routine for your child.
- Get answers to questions about your child’s behavior or problem area.
- Learn to accept your child’s condition or disability and understand how your child’s problems influence and impact you and your family.
- Learn how you can best help your child to realize his or her fullest potential.
- Learn methods for dealing with differences in parenting approaches as a couple as well as methods for dealing with educators and other individuals involved in your child’s life and upbringing.
Consultations are available in-person, by phone, and via email.
You want what’s best for your child and your family, and so do I. My goal is to give parents insight into the various situations they are dealing with and to look for appropriate, effective, and lasting solutions.
Free Initial Consultation
To schedule a free initial consultation with child psychologist Dr. Kenneth Roberson, please call 415-922-1122 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*From the U.S. Surgeon General’s Office (source).